Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Emo

I had no idea what "emo" was when I heard one of my husband's nieces talking about it the other day. So, I looked it up on the Web and, well, apparently it's a style, or lifestyle, maybe. I'm not sure. It really doesn't seem any different than what was "alternative" in the mid-80's when I was a teenager. When I look at photos of the current "emo" style, it just seems a variation of Susie Sioux (remember Susie and the Banshees?) or Robert Smith from the Cure. Even Sid Viscious of the Sex Pistols had a little of the "emo" style. Anyway, it's just funny that these "new" looks come along that aren't really new at all.


The strangest part, though, is the stereotypes that accompany them, like being severely depressed and "that's why they wear black." I always wore black because it just suited me and still does. As much as I try to steer away from it, every new piece of clothing I buy is black or a dark shade of grey or brown. Of course, being older and a mom, I've learned to throw in a little bit of color every now and then, so I don't look too "depressed". lol

Anyway, I was inspired to create a little "emo" girl pendant. She reminds me of me as a teenager. I guess I was sort of an "emo", or alternative, or punk, or...something like that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment